Thursday 17 April 2014

Day 38: Passover...

Today is Maundy Thursday, the day that we remember Jesus sharing the Passover Meal with his friends. We remember Jesus breaking bread and sharing wine with his friends and encouraging them to continue doing so in remembrance of his sacrifice. You can find the story of the Last Supper in Luke 22:7-30. There are also two other parts of the story of Jesus' Passover evening to challenge us as we seek to finish up our 40 days of living a life filled with love, following the example of Christ...

Firstly, take a look at John 13:1-17. Before the disciples sat down to eat together, Jesus washed their feet. This was the job of the lowliest of servants, which was why Peter was initially adamant that Jesus should not wash his feet. But Jesus was demonstrating that he came to serve - and we are seeking to follow his example. Jesus says in John 13:14-17: Since I, the Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other's feet. I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. How true it is that a servant is not greater than the master. Nor are messengers more important than the one who sends them. You know these things - now do them! That is the path of blessing.
Washing feet was a cultural tradition - it would be up to you whether or not this is how you would choose to love the person on your name slip today. But the action of serving another person in the lowliest of ways, truly serving their needs in a way that they don't expect, laying yourself on the line - that is the way that we are called to love today.
Secondly, take a look at John 17, Jesus' prayer following the Passover meal. This is the prayer that Jesus prays for us: all who will ever believe in [Jesus] because of their testimony. There is so much to take from this chapter. John 17:22-26 says this: I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are - I in them and you in me, all perfected into one. Then the world will know that you sent me and will understand that you love them as much as you love me. Father, I want these whom you've given me to be with me, so they can see my glory. You gave me the glory because you loved me even before the world began! O righteous Father, the world doesn't know you, but I do; and these disciples know you sent me. And I have revealed you to them and will keep on revealing you. I will do this so that your love for me may be in them and I in them.
Let us pray that we may be united with Jesus and with each other in love. Let us pray that through this unity the world - our person on the name slip - will know that Jesus was sent for them. Let us pray that we - and our loved ones - would understand that God loves us as much as God loves Jesus.
Any other thoughts on these passages - please put them in the comments...

No comments:

Post a Comment